Thursday, September 6, 2007

Where the Hell did yesterday go???

Crap!!! Has it really been so long since my last blog.

As always I am swamped with too much to do and not enough time.

Here is the 3 week recap.

After the GCT I went to the doctor and had my pulmonary test done. The findings.... I have a 33% increase in my smaller airways with an inhaler. Normally, people don't even need them, but when running or doing intense activity they are utilized, so now 2 puffs about 20 minutes before running.

The following Saturday I ran the JCM 5k in Hudson. I used my inhaler for the first time. I decided to run it as a tempo run and NOT kill myself since I had the Perfect 10 miler the next day. The first mile was at 8:00 flat. I felt good and just tried to stay relaxed. The next mile I slowed and that was where I stayed for the rest of the race. The inhaler did not seem to make a difference. I was still wheezing a little the last mile. I finished in 25:30 thinking I would probably get 3rd in my AG, but I was just a bit too slow that day. I took 4th (uuuuggghhhh). I did however, win a gift card to Yours Truly restaurant.

The next day I headed out to Mayfield for the Perfect 10 miler. It was overcast and big chance for rain. I wanted to beat my time from last year but I knew from yesterday's race my legs were still a bit tired (probably from the GCT). The course was a bit different from the year before due to construction, but 10 miles is 10 miles. I hooked up with some friends before the race joking about who was gonna beat who. The horn sounded and I began my longest race thus far without the comfort of my I-pod. My first mile was too fast. My second mile was even faster. What was going on??? There were some girls playing the Spice Girls on the radio around mile 3 and my time was still too fast, but slower. I later found out the mile markers were off. I was on my way to mile 4 when I realized I had NO gels. What a dumb mistake!!! It wasn't my first race!!! Shit!!! This could get ugly. The next 2 miles dragged on. I was tired. I couldn't relax and my breathing was a bit labored and I was picking up time every mile. I saw AS ahead of me and focused on just staying with her. I liked her pace. She was running very well. I made a decision then to run with her as I knew my PR was a very long shot and she was going to blow her's away. We stuck it out to the finish and she got one person by 2 steps at the finish!! I was stoked and gave her a big hug. Finished in 1:30:05 (I think). Not a good time for me. Chalk it up as long run for the week.

The next week I ran a 26:48 at Penitentiary Glen's 5k cross country course and then ran it again as a cool down and chatted with some friends before going out with my BF KK for drinks that tasted soooooo good!!! Best Bloody Mary's.

That Sunday the Walrus and I went to N. Chagrin to run with a group but my breathing was shitty and as I was on my way back to the car to get my inhaler a sweat bee stung me in the throat and motherf#cker did that smart! My throat swelled a bit and turned red but after some ice and walking I was gonna live. I opted to end my run at about 30 minutes that day and wait for everyone else with my coffee.

Wednesday I went to the Buckeye Trail to run for an 1:10 before class only to find not only was it treacherous, but there were coyotes! Yeah, frickin' coyotes. I heard them yelping nearby and could only pick up the pace and hope they did not eat turtles. I picked up a stick and as I ran for my life I looked at every tree wondering if I could climb it. Needless to say I made it out of the woods to the safety of my truck. I don't think I will do that again.

I have since then gotten in a couple nice long runs at N. Chagrin without falling, rented a house, partied with my brother who is leaving for Afghanastan in 3 weeks (which deserves a blog all of its own - soon to come) and managed to start another semester of school while working around 35 hours a week and prepping for my marathon.

No comments: