Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The "GREATEST" Cleveland Tri

The Walrus and the Turtle right before the start
Almost Done!

Just a .1 miles to the finish!!

Our photographers!!

I am the 3rd cyclist just coming out of the park. The walrus is back there, RIGHT behind me!!!

Transition Area

The Walrus coming for his new shoes!!

Swim Finish!!

My Race Recap goes like this...

Swim - I bet my fast, older boyfriend a new pair of running shoes I would be out of the water and across the first mat before him. I had a 3 minute head start being in the 15-29 sprint wave. He was in the 30-39. He took the bet. I hit the water and after a minute or two many people were pulling ahead of me. I was worried but then at the first buoy I began picking off quite a few. I found a rythm and swam comfortably all the way in. My father had come to watch me for the first time ever and I was dead set on making him proud. I got out of the water and hit the beach running for fear my boyfriend would pass me on the run to the mat (how much would that suck??!!!) My dad and some friends were screaming as I came out of the water that I had beaten him and I let out a "WHOO HOO" and thought go, go, go, get to the mat.

Made it to T1 and about 1 minute later there he was!! I knew it was over for me on the bike but I was pumped. I left T1 behind a girl and followed the no passing rule. There were about 5 people right behind me and then 3 because a girl came flying by and then a guy in the park. I yelled "you can't pass" but they did not care. I was a little mad, but was not going to cheat. As I exited the park my boyfriend went flying, I mean flying by me. I smiled and knew now he would only get faster as he had the fastest run and was 12th on the bike that day. I did get pedaled down by 10 or so men and only 3 or so women. Some cyclists said "way to go CTC" and "keep going CTC" I said thanks and told them to keep moving too. I was mishap free and almost back to the park on my way back up Heisley less than a mile to go when a buck ran across the road. Never thought I would have to worry about hitting a deer on my bicycle, but then another buck even closer came across. Needless to say I made it into the park without hitting anything.

T2 was okay. I should have taken more time to get all the sand off my feet (ended up with 2 blisters that are small but hurt like hell), but I already wasted time hitting my inhaler and taking a gel.

I went out for the run and grabbed some water, said hi to Matt and headed out to chase the girl less than a 1/4 mile ahead. I did catch her and we had battled on the bike course so as I ran by I could only shake my head and say to her "Man you are tough." She smiled and said thanks as I finally passed her for the last time and broke away. The run is always my worst of the 3 events. My boyfriend calls me the turtle cause I fall apart. Today I still fell apart, but not as bad as I usually do. I kept my stride open and encouraged everyone I passed or that I saw on the way in to keep going and good job. A fellow sprint CTCer high fived me on the way in (Thanks!!) and with that I pushed the pace the entire way back to the finish for 3rd in my AG and a BIG HUG from my father. It was awesome. I won my first award ever in a TRI, a new pair of shoes and my father came up to cheer me on and tell me how proud he was.

Also, congrats to Adam on 2nd in his AG in the Sprint, Kevin on 1st OA in the 1/2, Brian for winning his AG in the 1/2, Janet 1st in her AG and Brandon for kicking some arse in the 1/2, Jodi for surving the Aqua-bike under adverse conditions from the night before, everyone else who competed and the fantastic volunteers.

No comments: