Monday, April 7, 2008

Hope for the Best; Prepare for the Worst

About 2 weeks ago I found this website with "my dream job" on it. The job was here, at the mistake on the lake. It had been posted 18 days and I was worried that it was no longer open and the poster had forgotten to remove the position. However; just in case hell was freezing over and pigs were flying I uploaded my resume and cover letter to the company. I received an email thanking me for my submission...my resume would be reviewed...don't call us will call you...no call in 30 days, well it is obvious...they don't want me.



Fast forward to today: I had pretty much given up any chance of getting an interview. I was already considering when I wanted to sit down and send out my resume to my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and maybe 50th choices of available jobs. I wasn't depressed, but a bit frustrated. I wanted a big person job. I was tired of waiting tables. I had spent my tens of thousands of dollars on my education. I was 30. I wanted to devote my 40 hours to something I loved and waiting on "cheap" guests was not getting it done. I need a change. Well, at exactly 1:32pm today that change came. I received a phone call from a number I did not recognize and followed my normal pattern of behavior by not answering the phone, but wondering who it could be. The voicemail beeped and I called in.



"Yes, hi Elizabeth. This is so & so calling from my "dream job" company. I received your resume and cover letter and would like to set-up a time for you to come in." Holy Moly!!! I was so excited. I could hardly breathe. I called my mom to tell her the good news. She was pumped. Geez, we were acting like I had already gotten the job :) I called the number back and chatted with so & so for 6 minutes and 2 seconds. He was very amicable and I immediately liked him. We had a really cheerful conversation and I hoped my excitement to work for him showed. I set up my interview for Friday at 10:00am. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day. Tomorrow I am going in search of a new "spring" suit and some snappy heels. I also want to drive to the building in the next few days so I know where I am going as to insure my timely arrival. I am even going so far as to brush up on my research of do's and do not's for an interview. Yep, I am a worrier, but I am an excited worrier.

1 comment:

Mnowac said...

OMG!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you. Congrats. I will be doing a happy happy good luck dance on Friday at 10 in my cube for you. I would love to have at least 1 friend who had a job they like! I'm sure you will do awesome.