Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Sweetest Thing!

AH use to coach cross country for Mentor H.S., but because he made the choice to finally go back to school and finish his degree he stepped down from his position, but not before I got roped into the madness.

Although I have a name most of the kids new me as "Coach Hunter's Girlfriend."  I went to most of the meets throughout the season and followed the team to states twice.  When the season was over the team took a trip to the Midwest Footlocker Nationals in Wisconsin.  I made the drive in order to cheer for the team, but I also was going to drive a few more hours north to visit my grandparents. 

While we were at Footlocker Nationals we were able to attend a conference with guest speakers that just happened to be some of my favorite runners including Suzy Favor Hamilton, Matt Tegenkamp and Chris Solinsky.  It was a great seminar and they were so inspirational they almost convinced me to run in the open division, almost.  They too were from Wisconsin like myself, but unlike me they were fast!

Fastforward tow plus years and everybody, even Nike is on alert to see Galen Rupp go after the men's 10,000 meter American record at the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational yesterday.  The race starts just as planned, but then some "cheesehead" decides it's his time to shine and the sweetest thing happens!! 

The American record falls...BIG TIME, but it's not by Galen Rupp. 

1 comment:

Adventures with MS said...

Your passion for running is amazing! You have me catching the spirit. :)