Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Big News

Well, if you haven't guessed my beyond exciting news from my other post by now, you obviously don't care about my life in any way, but I got a job!!!!

If you read through my prior posts this fall, you will see I worked in oncology, solid tumor to be exact and I can't express enough how much I loved the work and the team of healthcare professionals I worked with, nurses, doctors, physicians assistants, case managers and PCNAs.  My preceptors had asked me what I thought of the unit while I was there and I of course told her it was really well run and such a great atmosphere.  She then asked me "would you wanna work here?"  I thought "HELL YEAH," but responded with "absolutely, this is a great place." 

I was fortunate enough to spend a shift shadowing the nurse manager (the boss) and getting to know her (she is very direct, no non-sense and super cool).  I went to a staff meeting and they covered important topics that I can't disuss here, but they also covered small things too.  I remember her asking where was the coffee machine for her staff?  Although, silly and miniscual she cared about here staff and wanted her staff's needs met big and small.  This woman was my kind of boss!!  As my practicum progressed, I had short encounters with her and she even asked for help with drip calculations on the new pumps and what I thought of her unit as a nursing student.  I told her I loved it and if a position ever opened, I would be more than excited to work for her. 

Fast forward to about three weeks ago: My semester was coming to a close and I was excited to be done with step 1: get the degree.  Step 2 & Step 3 would commence at the same time, i.e. pass boards, get licensed and find a job.  I had applied for  position in leukemia, bone marrow transplant and cardiovascular units, but got the response "thanks, but no thanks."  It appeared nobody wanted to hire an ulicensed nurse with no experience, but then I got an email from my old nurse manager that a positioin had opened up and I should post for it.  Immediately I did and I got a call for a phone interview a few days later.  I was excited and nervous.  I went through questions on the internet on how to best answers questions about your weaknesses, why you feel you are qualified and why you want to work on a unit and had nearly two pages of single spaced 11 inch font answers all ready for the the phone interview and no, I am not a worrier, or neurotic, or a perfectionist ;)

I got the call and it took all of ten minutes.  I breezed through it and felt really good about my answers.  I was told I would get a call back in about a week if they were interested.  Okay, here we go witht the waiting game.  I thanked HR and hung up, but then my phone rang not an hour later and I was shaking -- CRAP!!  They had forgotten to ask me something or I was that bad they knew immediately how much I sucked.  I answer (Gulp) "Hello." 

"Hi, E, We have your results and you did really well and we are calling to set up a two hour working interview with the nurse manager."  Oh my God, you are, I thought!!  "Oh that's awesome!" I said.  We discussed times scheduled it at 9:00 am on the following Wednesday.  I would then have to haul ass down to KSU by 1:00pm, since Psych class takes attendance -- blah!!

December 1st, I dressed in my scrubs and headed down to my old stomping ground (or to what felt like it anyway).  I got there about 15 minutes early and ended up hugging lots of nurses and saying "hi." Everybody seemed pretty glad to see me.  My preceptor was there and I got a huge hug from her, have I mentioned how great she is?  I waited until about 8:55 am to head down to KD's (the nurse manager) office.  We chatted for not even an hour about everything.  We were then supposed to commence with the shadowing but the resonse I received was "you already know the floor, the nurses and how the unit works.  I am not going to make you shadow.  You can leave or you can go visit with the nurses, or just hang out, whatever you like, just don't pass any medications."  I laughed, this was so awesome, even a little fun.  She told me she would know within a week, who she would be hiring, but HR is slow so if I didn't get a call in a week, then don't to panic.  I left her office and helped my preceptor care for a patient who was vomiting, changed some sheets, helped a guy arrange for his dinner and said my good-byes, hopefully not for the last time. 

One week later, I had received no phone call and I was devastated.  I had sent a thank you letter and worried and worried and -- nothing.  Some of my classmatesknew about the interview and would ask me everyday "did you get the call yet?" "No, they don't want me.  I am not gonna get it"  I said.  "Yes, you will!  They love you" they said.  I hadn't really told anybody for fear of cursing myself, but maybe the few who did know were enough to curse me anyway.

This Thursday, I had stayed up until about 2:00 am working on my last project and so I heard my phone at 9:30 am on Friday morning I was a little groggy, until I saw the number. It was THEM!!!  I sat up quickiy and had a huge head rush.  My heart was pounding in my chest.  I felt like I was under water.  I was losing my hearing.  Oh, Sh*t!!!!  I am gonna pass out.

Me: (heart rate is well above 100 bpm) "Hello."
Them: "Hi is E. there."
Me: (Of course, it's me!!  This is my cell, who else would it be?) "Yes, this is she."
Them: "This is so and so from the so and so."
Me: (I know who it is!!  I have been waiting for you to call all freakin' week!!) "Yes, hi, how are you?"
Them: "Oh, great.  Thank you. And yourself"
Me: (my heart is about to explode and I am ready to puke, how do you think I am feeling) "I am doing really well. Thanks."
Them: "Well, I am calling on behalf of KD, about the RN position on such and such a unit."
Me: (of course, I know what you are calling on behalf of!!) "Oh yes?!?!"
Them: "Well we would like to offer you the position (goes over shift, pay, details etc...)  "Would you like to accept?  Oh wait do you have any questions?"
Me: (Yeah, why did you wait so long to call and Hell No, go back to your question!!!!) "No, I have no questions."
Them: "Well, would you like to accept the offer or would you like time to think about it?"
Me:  (that's all I have thought about for a week and a half, how much more time do I need?!?!?!) "Um, no I don't need time to think about it.  I WOULD LOVE TO ACCEPT THE POSITION." 
Them: "Great!"  then she goes over more details and requirements for start date and hangs up.

I sat there for a good two minutes just staring at my door and smiling and then I jumped off my bed and yelled "I DID IT!!! I GOT A JOB!!!!!"  I am an idiot, but an excited one nonetheless.  I found a job in nursing before graduation and on the unit I wanted to boot.  I had heard horror stories about kids who had graduated in August still looking for jobs, but not me.  I was on top of the world, now to pass my finals and my boards.  (HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

2 comments: